Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Patty Murphy Song

When I was but a wee lass, my grandfather, Big Joe, taught me an Irish drinking song that we'd sing all the time, but especially on St. Patrick's Day. So today, I would like to share this beloved song with you. :)

Oh the night that Paddy Murphy died, is a night I'll never forget

The whole darn town got stinkin' drunk, and some ain't got sober yet;

The awful thing they did that night that filled my heart with fear...

They took the ice right off the corpse and put it on the beer!!

Chorus:

Oh! That's how they showed their respect for Paddy Murphy

That's how they showed their honor and their pride.

Oh baby, that's how they showed their respect for Patty Murphy;

On the night that poor 'ole Patty Murphy died.

So there you have it. Evidently when I was about 5 at my other grandmother's house and singing the song, she nearly passed out when I said "the whole darn town got stinkin' drunk and some aren't sober yet." I don't blame her, what kind of 5 year old sings about a town getting smashed and taking the ice off of the dead body to put on the beer?! Oh well.

Anyway, today's a day to lift your glass, because, my friends, today we're all Irish! :)

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!!!

3 comments:

  1. if we only knew what some of those words actually meant when he taught us that song....

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sweet :) HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEET IRISH ST PATTYS FUN FRIEND! i love you!
    and my favorite song at age 5 included the words "everybody must get stoned." thanks, bob dylan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and Happy Birthday!
    By the way, this blog explains a lot...
    ; )

    ReplyDelete