Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Fayette-nam (My Other Home)







This weekend I spent some much needed time in Fayetteville for work and stayed there for a little bit of fun to hang out with mi amigos. So, I figured I'd write a bit about one of my favorite places on earth.


The first time I can ever remember going to Fayetteville was when I traveled there with my dad during the fall of my senior year of High School to tour the campus. Papa Bear and I took the Pig Trail (mostly because he had a new car that was a 5-speed and wanted to make me hurl -as if I wasn't freaked out already about going to college), so I didn't get to experience that wonderful rush of joy when you just come over the last hill on I-540 (around mile marker 60) and there it is. The first thing that you see is the University of Arkansas campus and immediately your eyes go to the Old Main Towers and the Reynolds Razorback Football Stadium. Yeah, you know what I'm talking about.

At the time, I was certain that the University of Arkansas was the absolute LAST place I wanted to attend college. My high school brand new and was pretty small (I graduated with less than 50 in my class), but I loved High School so that surely meant that I would hate attending the largest college in the state, with 18,000 students. But alas, I fell in love with it. I loved the campus, the traditions, the fact that the business college was so highly ranked, but not the city of Fayetteville. (Mostly because I was too freaked out to look around me too much).

The second trip to Fayetteville was for orientation. Again, I was freaking out, so there's not too much to tell.

So, the third trip was for the move to my dorm, Futrall. (Oh Futrall, how I loved you). As I drove around the city a little more I noticed something rather strange. As you drive down I-540, past the U of A campus, past all of the apartment complexes, and just about a mile away from the mall, there it is… a big farm. Stuck right in the middle of town. This bothered me for a long, long time (“Why doesn’t the city just buy that land and use it?!”). As time went on it became one of the most charming features of my fare city.

Now I'm pretty lucky because my job gives me the opportunity to travel to Fayetteville a lot.
I'm also so very blessed to have several wonderful friends who still live in Faye.
Katherin, Becca, Tara, Julie, Aaron, Richard, and Wes. I still get to hang out with them pretty often (especially Katherin, Becca and Tara) and consider them amongst my dearest friends.

This is a picture of me, Becca, and Katherin at the Pat Green concert 2 years ago.










And this (right) is Katherin, Ann (who got married and moved to Oklahoma), Tara, me and Julie at the Pat Green concert last fall.


I guess you could say that we love Pat Green.

But not nearly as much as we love Fayetteville. :)

1 comment: